Daniel Anderson set for Farewell Season with Saints

October 7, 2007

St Helens Supercoach Daniel Anderson has revealed his intention to return to the NRL in 2009 in a move which will put further heat on local Aussie coaches to perform next season.

The 40-year-old, who guided the Warriors to the NRL grand final in 2002, said he hoped to return to the Australian rugby league scene when he relocated his family to Sydney at the end of next season.

"I'd love to," Anderson told The Sun-Herald.

"Obviously, it's hard to break into it but I always want to be involved in rugby league. If I'm fortunate, I'll get another opportunity to do something in Sydney for the game.

"We're looking forward to coming home after a long time away. I've never coached an NRL team in Australia before and it's definitely a goal I'd like to achieve.

"It's a family-based decision … It's time to let the kids settle down, get some friends and work out where we'll live for a few years."

The former Kiwi Test coach, who rejected lucrative offers to extend his stay at Knowsley Road, is considered one of the most astute mentors in England.

He is the latest recipient of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award, an honour previously bestowed upon Sir Alex Ferguson, Clive Woodward and José Mourinho.

His return to Australia also puts the heat on Sydney-based NRL coaches to perform, as the clubs know a capable replacement is waiting in the wings.

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens is off contract at end of next year, while Matthew Elliott (Panthers), Nathan Brown (Dragons), Brian Smith (Knights) and Brad Fittler (Roosters) are all expected to come under increasing pressure to perform.

Anderson said he would return to Australasia a much-improved coach after his overseas postings.

"Absolutely, you're a better coach every year you coach.

"I'm fortunate I've had some experience with New Zealand as an international coach, with the Warriors in Auckland and St Helens in the Super League.

"I'm very lucky I've got some experience and I'm lucky to have worked with some hall-of-famers who have developed me as a coach as well."

Daniel is pictured above with Simon Pickles from Domino's Pizza who kindly agreed to Daniel's request for a photo!!

No comments: